Johannesburg, South Africa: on Sunday, Emalyth hosted the ceremony for the 2020 South African Metal Music Awards at Fokof Bar in Gauteng. Please keep in mind that every edition is a celebration of the previous year’s achievements (ie: for the year 2019), and arrived so late in 2020 owing to Covid-19.
The top achievers in 14 categories for SAMMA 2020 were announced and trophies handed out in the 7th edition of the annual series.
SAMMA 2020: final results:
- BEST MUSIC VIDEO – Hiraeth – Lucid
- BEST ALBUM – Vulvodynia – Mob Justice
- BEST EP – Sunken State – Enter The Grey
- BEST SINGLE – Vulvodynia – Nyaope
- BEST NEWCOMER – Sunken State
- BEST FESTIVAL – Ramfest 2019
- BEST CLUB EVENT – Brochella presents Attila
- BEST LIVE ACT – Facing the Gallows
- BEST ALTERNATIVE BAND – Deity’s Muse
- BEST OLD SCHOOL METAL BAND – Deadline
- BEST EXTREME METAL BAND – Vulvodynia
- BEST PROGRESSIVE BAND – Ohgod
- BEST PRESS PHOTOGRAPH – Facing the Gallows / Wayde Flowerday
- BEST DESIGN – Vulvodynia / Jakub N Ruse, for ‘Mob Justice’ album art.
The strong performance of Vulvodynia in the SAMMA came as no surprise, since the band enjoyed a more powerful year in 2019 probably than any Metal band in South African history. It included an album (made No.1), an EP (made the top-5), an impactful music video (made the top-5) and several international tours.
We extend a congratulations to the top achievers, and also a “well done” to all of the bands who received nominations for their efforts in 2019. Keep the South African metal flags flying high through 2020, 2021 and beyond!